Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My Mom's Goulash

Goulash...most people think of think of it as a German stew...I consider it a wonderful memory of not very rich times in my youth...but hindsight...how wonderful they were.

I have been wanting to make this for several years, and never really had the gumption.  I really didn't think I would be able to repeat what my Mom had done.  I didn't pay close attention to what she did, and she never wrote anything down.  But, I did the other day, and I must say, it was my Mothers, and I was delighted to have those memories brought current.

I started with a roast on sale (buy one get one at Winn-Dixie).  I cut it into chunks.
Season the meat with a season salt, and bring a heavy pan to medium high with vegetable oil. Brown one level of meat at a time, don't crowd the beef. This process will be a lengthy one, but well worth it.  Remove the cooked beef, and let stand while...

you chop celery, carrots, onion and garlic and add to the pan.
It is still not a a pretty sight, but continue to cook until the onions are translucent.

 Then add the beef, a large spoonful of paprika (I used a smoked one that is divine), a small amount of kosher salt, and a small can of tomato paste.  Mix together until well combined.
Add water to barely cover, and place into a hot (350 degrees) oven.  
Cook until beef is so tender it melts in your mouth (for me it was about 3 1/2 hours).  And, yes, it will. 
 I am blessed by my wonderful relatives in Germany.  They send me these blissful macaroni noodles.  This, to me, is the secret to the goulash! But, you may use any type of noodle.  Mom used to use egg noodles as well.  This type of macaroni noodle is about as long as a spaghetti noodle, but with a hole.  Slurping is desired.  ha.
I loved it.  The kids loved it, and so did David. 
Carmen's slurping was priceless! 
Mom would have been proud.

Enjoy!

No comments: