Saturday, March 20, 2010

Chicken Curry Salad

I have been craving curry spice lately, and trying to find recipes just so I can use my curry.

I "Googled" it---
and found this:

Chicken Curry Salad for Two
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 cup celery, chopped
2/3 cup pecans, chopped
1 head endive, washed & separated into spears
Kosher salt & pepper to taste
When ready to serve, combine chicken, pecans and celery in medium bowl, and toss to combine. Next add approximately 1/2 cup dressing (recipe below) to mixture and stir to coat. If you prefer your salad creamier, add more dressing. To serve, arrange endive leaves on plate and fill with chicken salad. Top with extra pecans.
For dressing:
2 cups mayonnaise
Pinch cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1 tbsp. lime juice

Place mayonnaise in bowl of food processor or blender. With blender on low, slowly add cayenne powder and mix until smooth. Scrape sides, and repeat process with curry, Tabasco and lime juice. The dressing can be stored in the refrigerator until ready to use, for up to one week.
 Let me begin by saying that I did not have all of the ingredients listed.  I did have lemon juice, and canned chicken, and a really nice spring mix salad.  I just winged it...so to speak.
 I chopped the celery and the pecans.  Opened and drained the chicken.  Mixed all of those together and added the kosher salt and pepper.  I mixed the mayo, lemon juice, curry, and Tabasco.  
 I mixed the wet ingredients in a bowl. A mixer or food processor is really too much, I think. You can use as much or as little of the dressing as you like.  I don't like a lot dressing on my chicken.  I do have enough for a wrap for lunch next week.  I also didn't use the cayenne pepper. 
I also didn't have Endive.  Spring Mix is a nice start - and maybe a wrap for dinner?  Yes.
I used a nice bit of lettuce, and then topped with the chicken salad mix.
Roll up your wrap and enjoy.


No comments: