Sunday, March 14, 2010

First one with the mixer

I have a had my new mixer for about a month.  It has been sitting nicely, doing nothing, on my counter.

I have enjoyed just looking at my mixer  But I have been searching recipes for that perfect one to test out the capabilities.  I have found one.

Smitten Kitchen's recipe for St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake

Although, after I began the creaming of butter and sugar, I added not only the egg, but half of it's shell as well.  Ugh.

Going through another stick of butter was not my idea of fun - this was actually quite funny.  Remember to crack your egg into a separate bowl for two reasons:  1 - shells may break into the mix, and 2 - you can't tell if it is a bad egg if you crack it into the batter.

And, it seems after following the instructions of letting the cake rise...and it really hasn't...I have no clue how this is going to turn out.

So if nothing else, I will have creamed a good amount of butter and sugar, but have not one baking ability.
Ha!
So much for getting a mixer!
=)

Okay - after following the instructions, and really trying to wait on the bottom cake layer to rise - not, I have a cake.

After cooking for about 40 minutes in a white 9x13, and greasing the pan - yummy! I mean really yummy.

Although I do think I want to change some things the next time.  Maybe make the bottom cake part with some chocolate, and add some slivered almonds to the top.
Just a thought.
But I really do love the mixer.  It was effortless, and the result was wonderful.
Enjoy.

St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake

For the cake:
3 tablespoons milk at room temperature
1 3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

For the topping:
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Confectioner's sugar, for sprinkling.

Make the cake dough:  In a small bowl, mix milk with 2 tablespoons warm water.  Add yeast and whisk gently until it dissolves.  Mixture should foam slightly (mine didn't).

Using an electric mixer (yes!) with a paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar and salt.  Scrape down sides of bowl and beat in the egg (I recommend when baking to have the eggs at rooms temperature as well).  Alternately add flour and the milk mixture, scraping down sides of bowl between each addition, mix for 7 to 10 minutes.

I greased my 9x13 white baking dish (the original recipe didn't call for this - but I do recommend it).  Press the dough until even, and reaching up the sides.  Cover the dish with plastic wrap or clean tea towel, put in a warm place, and allow to rise until double, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.  (once again - mine didn't - but it turned out great)

Make the gooey topping:  Heat the oven 350 degrees.  To prepare topping, in a small bowl, whisk corn syrup with 2 tablespoons water and the vanilla.  Using an electric mixer (yes again!), with a paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar, and salt until light and fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes.  Scrape down sides of bowl and beat in the egg.  Alternately add flour and corn syrup mixture, scraping down sides of bowl between each addition.

Spoon the topping in large dollops over risen cake and use an offset spatula to gently spread it in an even layer.  Bake for 30 to 45 minutes - Note:  Cake will rise and fall in waves and have a golden brown top, but will be liquid in center when done.  Allow to cool in pan before cutting.  Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar for serving.

Yeild: 16-20 servings - depending on your cutting.

No comments: