Saturday, December 18, 2010

Barbara's Squash Casserole

Over Thanksgiving, my Aunt Barbara made this squash casserole that I fell in love at first bite.  It was spicy, but not really, and crunchy, yummy goodness in each bite.

Barbara's Squash Casserole

1 lb yellow squash
1 lb zucchini squash
1 large onions, chopped
3 cups diced tomatoes (canned is fine, just drain them)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon oregeno
1 teaspoon basil

Cook squash until tender, drain.  Mix together and set aside all spices and brown sugar.  Saute onion and bacon until bacon is crisp.  Mix in spice mixture to the onion and tomatoes and cook ten minutes.  Lay squash in a casserole dish. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until heated through.  (Bake at 350 or 400 degrees)

When Aunt Barbara sent this to me I thought I had all of the spices.  I didn't have the cumin.  So I substituted red pepper flakes, and David liked it sweeter, so I added 1 cup of brown sugar. 

squash and zucchini
bacon!
going to the oven
Yummy bits of goodness.
This is really good, and not at all difficult.  
Enjoy!

No comments: