Sunday, December 5, 2010

Hutch

Origins of this hutch are unknown.  My mother had it shipped (bought approximately in 1955 - Germany) when she moved to my father's family home in Texas.  It was part of a set with a credenza (which she had, and I have now).

Mom left it with my grandparents when she moved.  It is 7 feet by 5 feet and inches, and approximately 25 inches deep.  So considering its size, I can understand why it wasn't moved.  After time, she couldn't move it (my grandmother used it). When Mamaw passed, Mom wanted it shipped, but it was too costly.  Time passed, and Katrina and Ike hit Houston.  A tree fell on the home and due to many reasons the hutch was exposed for the past 5 years.

My Uncle and Aunt sold the land that the house is on, and my Uncle Jake graciously offered to take it apart and store it until I could travel with a vehicle large enough to accommodate it.

We decided to rent a large enough SUV or mini-van so that the hutch would not be exposed to the elements any further.  We rented a Ford Flex.

I have to say, that this is one of the most comfortable vehicles I have ridden/driven in a long time!  It is very boxy looking from the outside, but oh, the inside...7 passengers...and all could have the same amount of leg room---it isn't tiny!  Oh, and the heated seats and Sirius radio are wonderful extras. 

Hutch....sections of it laying in our garage.  After hearing about this for the majority of my life, and not remembering what it looked it, I could not stand it any longer ----we started cleaning it and trying to find a wall to place it against.  

It has two drawers that were lined with felt and blocks positioned so that your silver could be stored.  It was too far gone, and we decided to remove the felt lining.  It was a tedious task, but well worth it.  We took care to remove as much of the glue as possible.  

This is the base.  We cleaned the pieces with Murphy Oil Soap mixed with hot water.  The interior pieces were gorgeous, and showed what the piece should look like without the exposure.  We moved around the dinette table in the kitchen (it has drop sides) and moved it against a short wall.  We placed the base piece along the largest part of the wall.

 Hutch empty with side doors opened.
Doors opened and loaded with the majority of my Mom's table linens, and china.  

It needs to be cleaned again, and I will more than likely clean it with the oil soap several times before applying anything else to it.  I am in awe of its size, and every time I walk into the kitchen I touch it.  I can't help myself.  I am thrilled that David and I took the time to clean it and reassemble it.  It has meant so much to reconnect with my Father's family, and for me to connect in a different way with my Mom.  I  don't know what she went through, and only she and the Lord Almighty will ever know.  But I love that I can pass this down to Carmen and Stephen, and share a story of family. 

Blessings.

No comments: