Sunday, December 5, 2010

Split Pea Soup

I thought that I had posted something about Split Peas before, and I thought I had cooked it for David ---apparently not.

So...I didn't take during cooking photo's...

But here is the recipe.

2 medium onions, chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 package split peas (dried, rinsed, and soaked-no more than 30 minutes)
2 containers of chicken stock
pork neck bones (the only smoked pork I had)

Place the pork and onions in a dutch oven.  Sweat the onions until almost translucent.  Add the carrots and the peas.  Add the stock next to cover the peas.  Bring to simmer and continue simmering until pork is cooked through, and peas are mush.  Yes, mush. 

I love them this way.

And Dexter (the dog) loves the bones. - ha

Yummy, no blender needed.  Chunky carrots, and bits of pork, lots of creamy peas. 

Enjoy! 

No comments: