Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Oma's Rouladen

I have said that I would post pictures later.  And, I have posted my mother's recipe without making it.  Rouladen is an acquired taste.  I love it.  It takes way too long to prepare for just a little bit, so when you make it, make a lot of it so you have left overs to enjoy the next day as well.

Oma's Rouladen

Round Steak (pounded very thin and cut into 3 x 5 strips)
Bacon (cut into 1x2 strips)
Pickles (kosher dills - cut in half)
Onion - slices
Dijon mustard - about 3 tablespoons
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 mushrooms
Oil
Flour
Salt/Pepper
tooth picks

Begin by pounding out round steak until thin.

 
This is my Oma Anna's meat tenderizer (pounder thingy).
Then smear some mustard on the inside of the meat pieces.  
Lay the bacon piece, pickle and then onion on top.
Roll up tightly, and secure with toothpicks.
Cover in flour, and add to hot oil (vegetable).  
Brown, and remove until all the meat is coated and browned.
Once the meat is browned, add the remaining onion and mushroom.
Add a little water and if you like a beef bouillon or even red wine.
Add the cooked meat back into the pot.
Roast in the oven at 350 degrees for 3 to 4 hours or until meat is tender.
I serve this with noodles, but you can do potatoes as well.
Enjoy!

No comments: