Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Great Finds

NaBloPoMo 2012 - Day 20

I cleaned a corner of the garage the other day.  Yes, just a corner.  I will post the before and after later (much later at the rate as I am taking forever on it.) But in this corner of the garage was a shelf.  And on the shelf, lots of junk.  I threw away most of it (old gardening gloves, old craft paint and brushes, etc).  But then I found this:

It really doesn't look like much.  And to anyone else looking at these items, I am sure that they would dispose of them just as quickly as I did the other items on the shelf.  But, if you look closely, you will find a measuring tape, two crocheting needles, a crocheted bag, and a cup made of tin and old clothespins.

What you don't know is that these are my Mom's crocheting needles that I have looked everywhere for after she passed.  So 6 years now, lost and now found.  Joy. Leaping joy!   The bag is from Germany, and is used for shopping at the bakery or butcher shop.  You have to carry your own bag (Germany has a handle on the re-use bags---we in the US should take note), or purchase one and they can be expensive.  My mom used this one all the time.  Measuring tape was from my Dad.  He would keep this in his pocket just to measure whatever, because you never know when you come across something you need to know how long it is. ha.  The cup.  That cup was a Father's Day gift to my Dad that I made when I was in the Brownies.  Yes, Brownies.  So I had to be 5 to 7 years of age.  Crazy.  It is made from a soup can with a top cut away, clothes pins that have been taken apart, glued, and secured with copper wire.  It used to set by the land line telephone (remember before cell phones?) in the kitchen with lots of pencils that were sharpened by a pocket knife.


Now it sets by my moms coffee cup, right where I can see it daily.  Treasures found.  Really.  I had no idea that my mother kept this after all those years.  As I am going through rooms, buckets and bins, I am discovering more of these things.  Many things I am disposing.  But these items today, brought back a smile, giggle, and tears.

What do you treasure?

Blessings,
Jerry Ann

No comments: