Monday, November 12, 2012

Soda, Pop or Coke

NaBloPoMo 2012 - Day 12 

Soda, Pop or Coke - whatever you call it, it was hurting me.

I stopped drinking Diet Coke three years ago in August.  I accidentally tried it when David had one, and it tasted like poison to me.  I used to be able to drink as many as twelve cans a day.  I read some where that the aspartame used to sweeten could cause inflammation of joints.  I was swollen all the time it seemed, so I thought I would give it a try.  It has helped.  

I have had gum, and yogurt sweetened with aspartame.  It doesn't seem to do the damage that the sodas were doing, mainly due to the amount of soda I was drinking. 

I miss coke. I do.  I drink tea some now, but mainly water with lemon slices.  I sweeten my drinks with Splenda or Truvia, if I do it at all.  We still don't know all of the effects of these as well, but I do try to stay away from aspartame.  Doctors won't know the long term effects as well, unless all of us document what we eat and drink.  Like that is going to happen. 

I am not saying that you should give up soda/pop/coke.  Just look at what you are putting in your body.  Read the ingredients. I try to stay with pure food products, and avoid additives and ingredients that I can't pronounce, let alone know what they are.  Prism (diet program, lifestyle change) has made me very aware of supplements and preservatives, and it has been an eye opening realization. But it isn't always easy.

Happy Monday.
Blessings,
Jerry Ann

No comments: