Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pioneer

NaBloPoMo 2012 - Day 17

My Uncle Jake called my Mom a pioneer.  This took place in a conversation almost 3 years ago at Thanksgiving.  I never thought of her like that before he said it.  Pioneer.


My Mom, Lore.  I love this picture of her.  Young, scared, but happy. She came to the United States in 1956.  This was the picture used for her visa.  She had to be sponsored to enter the U.S. at that time.  Her Uncle Max (who lived in Chicago, IL) sponsored her.  She wanted something different than what was offered in West Germany.  

I just saw her as my Mom.  All of my friends heard her accent.  I did with some words, like video.  She pronounced the v like a w.  It was always very funny to me to hear her say it.  

With the days of the election just a week ago, I have been thinking about my Mom and the move she made.  Going to a world where she didn't speak the language, had very little money, and schooled as a seamstress must have been terrifying.  

I can't imagine moving to another country.  Visiting countries are hard enough with the transit systems, and laws.  She did it.  Not by anyones else's standards but her own.  She conquered, and achieved a life in US.  She became a U.S. Citizen in 1963, after becoming a Nanny for a family in Connecticut. She went to Kindergarten with the child she watched so that she could learn the language.  

Who does that now?  Immigrants want us to speak their language (but that is an entire blog in itself).  She learned.  We expect so much from our country.  People want hand outs, and help out with things we used to work three jobs to achieve.  

Maybe we should think more like my Mom, and become a pioneer.  Conquer. 

Just a thought.

Blessings,
Jerry Ann

No comments: